Anyone have success using PivotX + Nginx ?

Discuss PivotX 2.0.x here. Non-PivotX related discussions go in The Drain.

Anyone have success using PivotX + Nginx ?

Postby bod » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:35 am

Hi,

The title says it all really. I have successfully installed PivotX under WinXP/Apache and it's working great...thanks to some help from hansfn! However, because I'm running my own home "server" on a 500MHz computer (with only 512MB RAM) connected to the internet via a regular consumer ADSL2, I need the server software to be as efficient as possible. This is the reason I chose PivotX: I can use it in flatfile-mode without the resource hog MySQL and it is very light!

I would like to use nginx as my HTTP server software because (I hear) it is much more resource efficient than Apache. Nginx installs fine and PivotX seems to install OK under it. The problem is that when I log into PivotX Administration and try to change settings under the "Configuration" section, I am instantly logged-out and the setting change doesn't stick/save.

I realize PivotX probably doesn't officially support nginx, so this is not a bug. I was just wondering if any users here recognize this problem ? Is there anyway to fix it and get PivotX working 100% with nginx??

thanks for any help offered...
bod

Re: Anyone have success using PivotX + Nginx ?

Postby hansfn » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:56 am

PivotX has been reported to run nicely on Nginx. The only known problem (which is fixed in a forum thread) is mod_rewrite rules which you probably haven't started to you use it.

The problem with being logged out and so on, is a familiar one - search the forum.
hansfn
Developer

Postby bod » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:51 pm

hey hansfn...I'm not sure if it is something to do with the update released today but after updating, I am no-longer being logged out! :)
bod

Postby hansfn » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:02 pm

Nope, your issue wasn't related to the update, but I'm of course happy that the problem is gone for now ;-)
hansfn
Developer

Postby bod » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:08 pm

Thanks again hansfn :)

FYI: if I switch on Debug Mode under nginx, both my blog view and PivotX admin view templates are flooded with "date() warnings". Doesn't effect me as I wont be using debug mode but here are the screenshots incase you want to see. This doesn't happen under Apache...

Backend view with Debug Mode on under nginx:

Frontend view with Debug Mode on under nginx:
bod

Postby hansfn » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:23 pm

Just read the warning and do as you are told ;-) This is a PHP config issue. (Many get this warning using Apache also if their PHP config doesn't contain a timezone setting - search the forum.)
hansfn
Developer

Postby bod » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:30 pm

ok, I know exactly where the timezone setting is, so I'll cahnge it now! :) It's just a shame that this PHP message messes up PivotX's great Debug Mode error reporting console by flooding in this way....but I guess there is no way to control this.
bod

Postby jult » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:41 pm

hansfn wrote:PivotX has been reported to run nicely on Nginx. The only known problem (which is fixed in a forum thread)
Well, sorry, but no, it's not fixed in a forum thread. The only entry I could find is someone trying to solve issues with nginx rewrite config.

Code: Select all
    rewrite ^/archive/(.*)/trackback/?$ /index.php?trackback&uri=$1&rewrite=archive last;
    rewrite ^/archive/(.*)$ /index.php?uri=$1&rewrite=archive last;
    rewrite ^/entry/(.*)/trackback/?$ /index.php?trackback&e=$1&rewrite=entry last;
    rewrite ^/entry/(.*)$ /index.php?e=$1&rewrite=entry last;
    rewrite ^/([1-2][0-9][0-9][0-9])[/-]([0-1][0-9][/-][0-3][0-9](/.*)?)/trackback/?$ /index.php?trackback&uri=$1/$2&rewrite=archive last;
    rewrite ^/([1-2][0-9][0-9][0-9])[/-]([0-1][0-9][/-][0-3][0-9](/.*)?)$ /index.php?trackback&uri=$1/$2&rewrite=archive last;

rewrite ^/page/(.*)$ /index.php?uri=$1&rewrite=page last;
    rewrite ^/tag/(.*)$ /index.php?t=$1&rewrite=tag last;
    rewrite ^/tags(/([^//]*)/?)?$ /index.php?x=tagpage&w=$2 last;
    rewrite ^/search/(.*)$ /index.php?q=$1&rewrite=search last;
    rewrite ^/search$ /index.php?rewrite=search last;
    rewrite ^/visitor(/([^//]*)/?)?$ /index.php?x=visitorpage&w=$2 last;
    rewrite ^/category/(.*)$ /index.php?c=$1&rewrite=category last;
    rewrite ^/weblog/(.*)$ /index.php?w=$1 last;
    rewrite ^/author/(.*)$ /index.php?u=$1&rewrite=author last;
    rewrite ^/browse/(.*)$ /index.php?o=$1&rewrite=offset last;
    rewrite ^/rss(/.*)?$ /index.php?feed=rss$1&rewrite=feed last;
    rewrite ^/atom(/.*)?$ /index.php?feed=atom$1&rewrite=feed last;

location / {
        if (!-e $request_filename) {
                rewrite ^/(([a-z0-9_-]+)(/([a-z0-9_-]*))?)$ /index.php?uri=$1&rewrite=page last;
                        }
                            }

Does not seem to work entirely.
http://domain.net/pivot/entry.php?id=800
gives a 404 error in a default nginx install.
jult

Postby hansfn » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:26 pm

The URL you posted is for Pivot. This forum (and in particular this thread) is about PivotX.
hansfn
Developer

Postby jult » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:47 pm

hansfn wrote:The URL you posted is for Pivot. This forum (and in particular this thread) is about PivotX.

Ah, the "we no longer support the old way" cop-out. Sure, that's why we upgraded, to have hundreds of links fall dead before our eyes, without having some script doing a search&replace for them.

Thanks for reminding me why I wanted to leave pivot and/or pivotx.
jult

Next

Return to 2.x Discussion