A couple of questions

Discuss PivotX 2.0.x here. Non-PivotX related discussions go in The Drain.

A couple of questions

Postby amro » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:18 am

Hi. I have been keeping a blog on some free blogging service, but my needs grew and the service was limited, so I've decided to move. I'm a software developer (desktop apps though (C++), not web), but I know HTML and I'm learning php and CSS. I've been researching the various CMSes around and so far PivotX's features seems to fit my needs the most. I like how it's lightweight, has an active community and developers who are actually still around, and I like how it handles templates. But I have a couple of concerns and I'm hoping someone might be able to help me understand things better because I'm really still a newby.
  • If I ever need to move my blog to a different CMS, or a newer version of PivotX (when is PivotX 4 coming?), would it be possible to automate this somehow without having to re-enter everything on the new CMS? I suppose PivotX will store the blog posts in the database in a format that only makes sense to PivotX, is that right? It's not a HUGE issue if that's the case, but I'd just like to understand this better. I understand this could be the case with all CMSes. Is there something I can do to reduce or remove this dependancy, like for example writing posts in html?
  • The Smarty documentation speaks about a syntax which looks like { stuff }, while PivotX templates use [[ stuff ]]. Why is that?

Thank you in advance.
amro

Re: A couple of questions

Postby Harm10 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:16 pm

First of all welcome to PivotX!

I will try to answer some of your questions.

When PivotX 4 is coming is not clear. Last I heard (I am not actively involved) the plan was January 2013.
Obviously there will some automation script for your data but as far as I know this will not be the case for the templates (mainly because the new set up will be so different).

PivotX now comes in 2 flavors: flat files and MySQL. The first one is just very basic and only there because early on Pivot started out like that. The advice is to go with MySQL installation. You are right that PivotX has its own data structure but then again every CMS has that. But going with your own HTML seems to be unwise because then you miss out on all kinds of benifits of PivotX when editing your content.
The tables are easily read and if you are a bit acquainted with PHP you can write your own conversion scripts if needed.

I do not exactly know why the Smarty [[ ]] was chosen. Fact is that not all standard Smarty functions are implemented into PivotX. So maybe that was the reason to use another character.
Quality is in the detail of things............

Want to change or update your PivotX site? Mail or PM me!
I can also convert your site to a Wordpress site!
Harm10
Developer

Postby amro » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:03 pm

Harm10 wrote:The tables are easily read and if you are a bit acquainted with PHP you can write your own conversion scripts if needed.

Awesome! I think that's what I wanted to hear.

One last thing I forgot to ask about is whether I should install PivotX in "html_public/" or "html_public/pivotx/". If I install to a subfolder, will that affect the links to the various pages? Would I still be able to access the site directly through "http://mysite.com" or will it be "http://mysite.com/pivotx/"?
amro

Postby Harm10 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:24 pm

You can install it in any of the proposed locations. PivotX should resolve the locations on its own. You can also use .htaccess to route the links (example.htaccess is supplied).
If you have no other software/blogs running on your domain the wisest location is to install it in the root and go from there.

Harm10
Developer

Postby amro » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:23 pm

Thank you very much!
amro

Postby amro » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:45 pm

Hi. Sorry to bother you again, but if you don't mind, could you please explain a bit about categories and subweblogs? The relevant information is missing from the online book. Are categories similar to tags in other systems? Are they just a way to group entries (blog posts) just as chapters are a way to group pages? What is a subweblog?

Again, thank you, and I'd like to mention again how very pleased I am that I've found PivotX. I've been playing with it all day and I'm LOVING it!
amro

Postby Harm10 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:05 am

No bother at all!
I guess you are right that such a simple explanation (if you are used to PivotX) is lacking from the documentation.
I normally don't do this but I want to point you to my own web site where I try to explain the structure of PivotX:
http://www.remark-webdesign.nl/page/general-explanation/remarkwebdesignen
Otherwise I have to redo a similar text here.................. ;)

Harm10
Developer

Postby hansfn » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:43 pm

Harm, how about adding this somewhere on book.pivotx.net when you find time for it?
hansfn
Developer

Postby amro » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:48 pm

Thanks, and I agree with hansfn. I'd say these are important concepts that make it a lot easier to start using PivotX efficiently.
amro

Postby Harm10 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:09 pm

hansfn wrote:Harm, how about adding this somewhere on book.pivotx.net when you find time for it?
Just added it! (Takes a recycle to show on the site)

Harm10
Developer

Next

Return to 2.x Discussion