Updating TinyMCE

Discuss PivotX 2.0.x here. Non-PivotX related discussions go in The Drain.

Updating TinyMCE

Postby amro » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:25 pm

Hi. After being so frustrated with TinyMCE (PivotX's WYSIWYG editor) and all its quirks and problems, I had decided to switch to the plain XHTML editor. However, I thought that maybe I should check out the whether the latest version of TinyMCE actually solves any of the many problems I was having with it, and I've found that it actually does! Using the [url = http://www.tinymce.com/tryit/full.php] latest version on its demo site [/url], I've found that it's actually quite usable. For example, an issue with the current version used in PivotX is that it converts this html:
Code: Select all
<li><a href="#" name="tab1">One</a></li>
<li><a href="#" name="tab2">Two</a></li>
<li><a href="#" name="tab3">Three</a></li>
<li><a href="#" name="tab4">Four</a></li>   

int this:
Code: Select all
<li><a href="#" name="tab1"></a>One</li>
<li><a href="#" name="tab2"></a>Two</li>
<li><a href="#" name="tab3"></a>Three</li>
<li><a href="#" name="tab4"></a>Four</li>

Which obviously breaks the code. So my question is, how difficult would it be to update TinyMCE in PivotX? Or should I just stick with the plain XHTML editor?

Another related question. If I create two accounts for myself, one which uses the WYSIWYG editor and one which uses the plain XHTML editor. Would it be possible for me to log in using the first account when I want to quickly write a blog post using the WYSIWYG editor for example, and log in with the other account when I need to write in HTML? Does PivotX take into consideration the editor used to write each individual post when it "renders" it? Thanks.
amro

Re: Updating TinyMCE

Postby Harm10 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:37 pm

I'll ask the expert on the TinyMCE editor to answer your question.

About the user and the editor the answer is yes: the setting of what editor to use is set in the user registration.
Quality is in the detail of things............

Want to change or update your PivotX site? Mail or PM me!
I can also convert your site to a Wordpress site!
Harm10
Developer

Postby Bob » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:01 am

Hi,

The current version in pivotX is 3.4.7, so it isn't _that_ old. That said, it seems that the example you've given is fixed.

There will be an update for pivotx soon, and we'll include the updated tinymce.
If I create two accounts for myself, one which uses the WYSIWYG editor and one which uses the plain XHTML editor. Would it be possible for me to log in using the first account when I want to quickly write a blog post using the WYSIWYG editor for example, and log in with the other account when I need to write in HTML?

That should work. Regardless of whether you use the plain editor or tinymce, pivotx just stores the HTML. Note that when you edit a handcrafted page in tinymce, that tinymce will re-parse the HTML to how it wants.
Bob
Lead Developer

Postby amro » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:43 am

Bob wrote:There will be an update for pivotx soon, and we'll include the updated tinymce.

Not to be pushy, but how soon? You don't have to be too specific here, just a general estimation would be great.

Bob wrote:Regardless of whether you use the plain editor or tinymce, pivotx just stores the HTML.

A very useful piece of information! Thanks.
amro

Postby Bob » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:48 pm

Before the end of the year! :-)
Bob
Lead Developer

Postby amro » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:11 pm

Cool! Looking forward to it.

I have yet another question but I don't want to create a separate thread as I suspect it's a trivial thing that I'm missing. I've created an additional weblog for entries in another language, but when I create a new entry, I can't figure out how to assign it to this new weblog. Also, when I click "view *new weblog*", it displays the same entries as the main weblog. What am I missing?
amro

Postby Harm10 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:36 pm

amro wrote:I have yet another question but I don't want to create a separate thread as I suspect it's a trivial thing that I'm missing. I've created an additional weblog for entries in another language, but when I create a new entry, I can't figure out how to assign it to this new weblog. Also, when I click "view *new weblog*", it displays the same entries as the main weblog. What am I missing?

It is trivial. Assign an entry to one (or more!) categories; assign the categories to the subweblog(s) defined for your weblog and the entries will be visible there. You probably did not assign those special categories to the special weblog................
Quality is in the detail of things............

Want to change or update your PivotX site? Mail or PM me!
I can also convert your site to a Wordpress site!
Harm10
Developer

Postby amro » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:46 pm

AHA! Thanks.
amro

Return to 2.x Discussion