Page 1 of 1

Cloudflare with PivotX

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:22 am
by Colp
My bandwidth limit was shot last month by unknown bots, crawlers and spiders. They're ignoring robots.txt and my .htaccess file is now getting longer and longer trying to stop known bad ones. When my allowance is reset I'm going to look into using Cloudflare. I've only read their site sales pitch and a review so far, but seems operates as a frontend to your website, offering security and bandwidth usage reduction; just what I need. It caches static content from your site, so I was wondering...

Has anyone got any experience of this service? What was it? Does it affect PivotX (I'm on 2.3.6) in any way or any of the extensions?

Re: Cloudflare with PivotX

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:20 pm
by Colp
No takers?

I joined Cloudflare anyway and it seems to be fine. I'm not sure it's speeded up any, but it claims that it's saved me 4Mb bandwidth by stopping bad requests in only 1 day. It also claimed to have blocked a few known spammers too. So far, so good.

Perhaps I'm getting paranoid, but my web server stats still say there have been some unknown bots and crawlers getting through. Back to my logs and .htaccess file it is for me.

Re: Cloudflare with PivotX

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:44 am
by Harm10
You could use the Page Speed plugin https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed to test your loading speed.

Re: Cloudflare with PivotX

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:34 pm
by Colp
Thanks Harm10. I will.

Re: Cloudflare with PivotX

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:44 pm
by Colp
As an update for anyone reading this post. I ended up having a lot of problems with the PivotX control panel see: http://forum.pivotx.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3247

I think I can safely say that it was caused by CloudFlare and the high optimisation settings I was using. Here's an extract from the end of that post. Moral of the story is check the settings and switch off minifying javascript:

I had a look back at the CloudFlare settings, which was set to 'CDN + Full Optimisation'. This setting cached pages from query strings, which can't be good, that's dynamic content. I set it to CDN + Basic, which is static data only and I purged the cache. This had a minor effect.

I then looked further down the settings... It uses minify! I've been saying I don't use it on my site, but I didn't know CloudFlare does. It allows you to select where to apply it - to Javascript, CSS and/or HTML. I deselected Javascript like in your fix.

For good measure there's a tool they call Rocket Loader, which was on and described as "Automatically asynchronously load all JavaScript resources. " I didn't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing so I disabled it. (To be fair it doesn't seem to matter if this is on or off.)

I'm happy to say my Pivotx control panel seems to be working perfectly again in all browsers and that's without having to switch CloudFlare into development mode at all. In fact I'd go as far as to say that it seems faster too.