Can this Lifetype user move to PivotX?

Discuss PivotX 2.0.x here. Non-PivotX related discussions go in The Drain.

Can this Lifetype user move to PivotX?

Postby eds » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:25 pm

Hello Pivotx Users,

I’ve been using Lifetype.net open source blogging solution for a few years now. It’s installed on a subdomain and linked, somewhat awkwardly, with my main website. I actually installed my current version not long after the last update came out and that was 2 years ago!!!

I’m now thinking of moving on since development appears to be halted and I wonder if PivotX is the way to go? The purpose of the blog will be to give me and my members an option to add blogging to the list things they can do on the website. The blog would have to work seamlessly with the main site, something lifetype cannot really do. From what I read this is all possible, unless I am missing something (please let me know).

In addition, I would need a few other features LT does not have:

1. iframe support with embedding code (i.e. video from YouTube)

2. cross site session sharing. This is a neat function that phpbb has, which allows the forum member to log in to the forum and the main website at the same time from either the forum or the main site log in page.

So some questions:

Can you clarify the multiple weblog support built into Pivotx? Does it allow multi-domain, multi-blog, multi-user setup and strict separation of single weblog administration and overall administration like a blog hosting site using a single database and install? Is there a limit to the number of web blogs?

Can I have Pivot redirect users to various blogs using unique custom urls? For example with LT, one blog is located at <blogname>@domainname.com and another is <blogname2>@ domainname.com. They are on the same subdomain, but the blog reroutes each by the blogname created by the user in their control panel. Is this possible with PivotX?

Finally, can I import my existing blog posts from lifetype’s mysql database to PivotX?

Thanks for you help. Looks like a great open source platform, by the way….
eds

Re: Can this Lifetype user move to PivotX?

Postby Harm10 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:16 pm

Wow that are a lot of questions!
Because I am not sure about some of them and it perhaps is even a better idea to start using Bolt (the new CMS; PivotX V2 development has almost stopped) I'll ask one of the lead developers to answer your questions.
Iframe Youtube is supported through extension Fancybox.
Quality is in the detail of things............

Want to change or update your PivotX site? Mail or PM me!
I can also convert your site to a Wordpress site!
Harm10
Developer

Postby eds » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:20 am

Cool. Thanks for the quick response Harm10.
eds

Postby Bob » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:37 am

eds wrote:In addition, I would need a few other features LT does not have:

1. iframe support with embedding code (i.e. video from YouTube)

Yes, this is no problem.

2. cross site session sharing. This is a neat function that phpbb has, which allows the forum member to log in to the forum and the main website at the same time from either the forum or the main site log in page.

That depends. Shouldn't be a problem if it's on the same domain, but different subdomain. If it's across different domains (i.e. example.org, example2.org) it will not work.

Can you clarify the multiple weblog support built into Pivotx? Does it allow multi-domain, multi-blog, multi-user setup and strict separation of single weblog administration and overall administration like a blog hosting site using a single database and install? Is there a limit to the number of web blogs?

Yes, one pivotX install can use different databases, configurations and different sets of users. It'll not be 'single database', but 'one database per site', though.

Can I have Pivot redirect users to various blogs using unique custom urls? For example with LT, one blog is located at <blogname>@domainname.com and another is <blogname2>@ domainname.com. They are on the same subdomain, but the blog reroutes each by the blogname created by the user in their control panel. Is this possible with PivotX?

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but i think not.

Finally, can I import my existing blog posts from lifetype’s mysql database to PivotX?

There's no ready-made import for it, but if it uses MySQL it shouldn't be too hard to convert with a bit of elbowgrease.
Thanks for you help. Looks like a great open source platform, by the way….
[/quote][/quote]

What Harm mentions makes thinks a bit different, though.. From what i gather, Lifetype was in the same boat as Pivotx: Bumping into the limits of the current codebase, while at the same time the 'blogosphere' is changing drastically.

We're currently working on two different projects: PivotX4 will be a complete rewrite, which will focus on larger, complexer websites, while Bolt focuses more on simple, straightforward websites. There will be a very first public release of PivotX4 soon, while Bolt 1.0 final will be released tomorrow. See: http://bolt.cm

Bolt is a modern, flexible system, but it doens not support multiple sites and/or multiple domains. This was a deliberate choice in the 'design' of the tool, because we want to focus fully on the functionality that we have, rather than spreading our efforts too thin. I heartily recommend you check it out, but i can't guarantee that it's what you're looking for.
Bob
Lead Developer

Postby eds » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:44 pm

Hi Bob,

What attracts me to PivotX is that it is an open source blogging solution and nothing more. I am not looking to build a website (I have my own custom cms), just a simple blogging solution so that the main site would act as the blog host. I would need to code PivotX to respect things like, our registration of users, login (via sessions), upload directory, etc. which what LT currently does for us.

Code: Select all
It'll not be 'single database', but 'one database per site', though.

So each user could have their own blogging environment each with different accounts (able to view and modify their own posts, create their own posts, with custom urls, etc) all under one database in a single site (domain)? The last thing I would want is to have to run multiple databases for each users who gets a blog.
eds

Postby Harm10 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:06 pm

eds wrote:So each user could have their own blogging environment each with different accounts (able to view and modify their own posts, create their own posts, with custom urls, etc) all under one database in a single site (domain)? The last thing I would want is to have to run multiple databases for each users who gets a blog.
You can have 1 blog with 1 database and multiple contributing (publishing) users that cannot edit eachothers posts. Is that what you mean?

Harm10
Developer

Postby eds » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:38 pm

Harm10 wrote:You can have 1 blog with 1 database and multiple contributing (publishing) users that cannot edit eachothers posts. Is that what you mean?

Not just that, but I would need users to only see their posts so that when they log in, it's "their" blog.

In addition, as indicated before, each blog would have its own custom url (under the same domain name) set by the user.
eds

Postby Harm10 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:34 pm

eds wrote:Not just that, but I would need users to only see their posts so that when they log in, it's "their" blog.
In addition, as indicated before, each blog would have its own custom url (under the same domain name) set by the user.

Then you should define a weblog per user allocate the user's category to it and para_weblog_always to the weblogname will always be displayed in the url. The user's level should be Normal I think: http://book.pivotx.net/page/1-8

Harm10
Developer

Postby eds » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:49 pm

Excellent. Thanks for the responses. I think Pivotx will work for us. I need to speak to my developer some more. Also, as stated before, it appears you are ready to move on to the next iteration of this blogging system so it seems wise to wait until version 4 is released.
eds

Return to 2.x Discussion