MySQL or Flat files?

Discuss PivotX 2.0.x here. Non-PivotX related discussions go in The Drain.

MySQL or Flat files?

Postby mbootsman » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:54 pm

Hi all,

I am going to setup my weblog to use PivotX. I'm gonna rewrite all my 1200+ articles because they have been written in a non standard way. Nevertheless, I want to know what is the best option to use to store these articles MySQL or flat files. My site currently has about 1000 visitors a dat.

Looking into the future, when PivotX seizes to exist (hopefully this will never happen), how do I get my data into another CMS? SO, some advice is needed guys ;)

Thanks!
mbootsman

Re: MySQL or Flat files?

Postby Bob » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:20 pm

If you have the option of using MySQL, i'd choose that. It will scale better, if you add a lot of entries.

Currently, if you had to convert the entries to another format, using MySQL would also be the most straightforward, because tools like phpmyadmin help a lot in delving into the raw data, to see how it's interconnected.

On the other hand, if this is your main concern, you don't need to worry. I don't believe in 'vendor lock-in', so there will be an option in the near future to export all your data in RSS/ATOM, to backup or convert it to another platform. This export will work the same for either the MySQL or Flat Files database.
Bob
Lead Developer

Re: MySQL or Flat files?

Postby mbootsman » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:16 pm

Bob,

thanks for your clear answer, I already started building with a mySQL DB.
mbootsman

Return to 2.x Discussion