PivotX.net

Discuss PivotX 2.0.x here. Non-PivotX related discussions go in The Drain.

PivotX.net

Postby Schop » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:27 pm

Wow, the new PivotX.net is really great, and I can't wait to see the rest (themes, extensions and such). There's one important thing missing though, in my opinion.

Historically, there always have been (and probably always will be) a lot of Dutch users of Pivot and PivotX. I think it would really boost the use of PIvotX if there would be a Dutch section of the website, and of course a Dutch translation of the docs. That said, I know that it is all very time consuming to do that.

I'd like to take the opportunity to offer my help to translate docs or website content to Dutch...
Schop
Contributor

Re: PivotX.net

Postby Kevin » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:04 pm

Thank you for your words of praise, Schop. While I agree that a good percentage of our guests (and development team) speak Dutch I can't see a Dutch version of the website and docs being available anytime soon. The reality is that we have a very limited amount of manpower and the addition of an entire second site/docs is just not feasible. Just trying to keep them in sync would be a full time job for several people.

A site exists that offers support in Dutch (mypivot.net) but I honestly believe that a better support base is available through this site. When all else fails folks can get support in Dutch through private messages in the support forum.. or even publicly if the posts include translations to English. (Google Translate)

Your offer to translate the site and/or docs is very generous and is sincerely appreciated. If you would like to contribute your time helping in other areas of PivotX development/documentation we'd certainly appreciate it!
BlogThemesExtensionsDocumentation • Support PivotX - Click the Donate button today!
Kevin
Administrator

Postby Schop » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:58 pm

Seriously...the mypivot.net site has not been updated since sometime in 2006.

I still think translating the documentation would be a good idea. The site might be a different story, you already mentioned keeping it in sync would be hard. The documentation though, should not change too much after the initial translation, right?

Anyway, by offering my help I'm trying to solve your manpower problem, at least for a little bit. If the development team thinks there's no need for Dutch documentation, that's fine, but if there is, I am willing to do (at least a large part of) it.
Schop
Contributor

Postby hansfn » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:42 pm

I think we could give it a try. We create the sub-domain book-nl.pivotx.net and give you access to the English documentation (as read-only) and give you the permission to create and update the Dutch documentation/documents. Everything is done in Google Docs (and imported automatically). It will be a one time effort for us, the PivotX team, and it will be up to you to keep the Dutch documents in sync. Maybe you can get some other Dutch users to join you.

If you fail completely in keeping things up-to-date, we can just nuke book-nl.pivotx.net ...
hansfn
Developer

Postby Bob » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:08 pm

Not that I don't welcome the extra help (i do, really!), but I think this will give a lot of problems.. It will be really tough keeping the dutch translation in sync with the english one, seeing as we're still moving stuff around, reorganizing and writing parts.

Like i said: It'd be great to have an extra pair of hands to help with documentation, but it will be very hard to do a translation of what we have now, without it being completely out of sync in half a year.

Maybe it'd be more constructive if you helped on writing parts of the english docs. Once those parts are fleshed out, we can translate them properly, without them changing too much. Is that an idea?
Bob
Lead Developer

Postby Schop » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:47 pm

Yep, that would be an idea. I don't know who's 'in charge' of the documentation, but if you want to send me an e-mail, we could try to split up the workload...
Schop
Contributor

Postby Bob » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:20 am

I just got back from a trip, so i didn't see your post earlier than now. I'll send you an email.
Bob
Lead Developer

Return to 2.x Discussion