Password Recovery

Discuss PivotX 2.0.x here. Non-PivotX related discussions go in The Drain.

Password Recovery

Postby xzjia » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:29 pm

I was messing around my multiple PivotX test installations when I had some trouble remembering the password for one of them.

So I went to the login screen and looked around and basically there's no way to either recover or reset my password.

I went to the forum and searched and seems another guy got his password back by somehow decipher his MD5 hash + salt.

Thankfully I remembered my password finally and the installation is only a test, but definitely a solution not involving complex math should be in order.

Did I somehow miss the option to get back lost password? If not then this is a serious issue that should be addressed.

EDIT:

I tried something, and it solved the problem partially - by deleting the ser_users.php the weblog would prompt the creation of new user (the new Superadmin) and lets you log back into the system. However this erases ALL user, something certainly not good for systems with multiple users.
xzjia

Re: Password Recovery

Postby hansfn » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:46 am

FYI: The code for the "lost password" feature is already implemented for visitors so it will be added for regular users before PivotX 2.0 is released.
... guy got his password back by somehow decipher his MD5 hash + salt.

Just for the record, what you do is to choose a new salt and password, then calculate the value you should put in ser_users.php. There is no way to decipher anything.
hansfn
Developer

Postby xzjia » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:45 pm

Sounds good.
xzjia

Postby hansfn » Sat May 02, 2009 8:20 am

Just for the record: Password recovery/Lost password feature has been added - just wait for the next release (PivotX 2.0 RC 2) or grab the latest version from SVN.
hansfn
Developer

Return to 2.x Discussion