Mail address used for comment notifications

Discuss PivotX 2.0.x here. Non-PivotX related discussions go in The Drain.

Mail address used for comment notifications

Postby Marza » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:14 pm

If I'm not mistaken, PivotX uses the name and mail address of the suparadmin that installed PivotX to send email notifications when comments are posted. I would like to be able to set a different name and mail address for this, but couldn't find a way to to this.
One of the reasons for wanting this, is that when the superadmin uses a gmail address, gmail issues phishing warnings on every notification mail. But apart from that, it would look nicer to use a generic address on a multi-user blog, not that of a superadmin that is one of the users as well.
Marza

Re: Mail address used for comment notifications

Postby hansfn » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:39 pm

There are two types of comment notifications:

1) For administrators (configured in the weblog settings). These notifications are sent from the e-mail of the superadmin account.
2) For registered visitors. These notifications are sent from the e-mail of entry's author.

So, if you don't want comment notifications from the superadmin, register as a visitor on your own site ;-)
hansfn
Developer

Postby Marza » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:26 am

Nice try, Hans ;-)
But that would mean, I would have to reply to each article in order to receive every comment to each post by mail, wouldn't it? And it would probably give me even more phishing warnings, because several authors use gmail accounts. I really want to receive everything. Last week several people complained their comments dissapeared, although nobody removed anything. On such occassions mail notifications could be the only backup we have.
Come to think of it, I'd rather have one generic mail address for the notifications that are sent to visitors as well. Mainly because comments are not written by or sent by the authors of the articles, and because the change receivers incidently mark such mails as spam when they are tired of receiving messages on ongoing discussions, is even bigger. Especially with these phishing warnings. That puts not only the mail address of the superadmin, but those of all authors at risk of being earmarked.

But if there is no way around yet, I guess I'll have to add this to the list of extension ideas ;-)
Marza

Postby hansfn » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:09 am

But that would mean, I would have to reply to each article in order to receive every comment to each post by mail, wouldn't it?

No, registered users can select "Notify me via email of new entries".

Since PivotX doesn't have a specific site from address (like for example Drupal does), but uses the address of the superadmin you would need to edit the function sendMailComment in the modules/module_comments.php so it uses your address. Before the call to pivotxMail you'll have to add something like

Code: Select all
$add_header = "From: someone@example.org\n";

PS! In stead of writing an extension, write a patch that adds a site from address - in the config tab and in the pivotxMail function.
hansfn
Developer

Return to 2.x Discussion