RSS export doesn't include comments

Get help with installation and running PivotX 2.0.x here. Please do not post Extension or Theme related questions here.

RSS export doesn't include comments

Postby zoltanthegypsy » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:14 pm

As mentioned in another thread, my ISP shut down my pivot and pivotx blogs after hackers found a backdoor that let them run thousands of perl scripts. Not good.

I finally have private web access to those blogs so I can try to capture the content. I need something I can import elsewhere, not archives.

I can grab and save via the RSS link in both blogs - but comments aren't included. The descriptions of those links imply comments are included.

What knob do I need to turn to get both posts and comments?

Thanks,
Z.
zoltanthegypsy

Re: RSS export doesn't include comments

Postby Harm10 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:23 pm

If you have MySQL version installed you can dump the content of the different databases and work from there, I guess?
Extension Pivotx Tools has an option to export the comments to Disqus. I don't have experience with that but maybe it could be used?

But why are you moving to another blog? Surely the others are at least even vulnerable to hack attempts? And pivot? That's really old.
Quality is in the detail of things............

Want to change or update your PivotX site? Mail or PM me!
I can also convert your site to a Wordpress site!
Harm10
Developer

Postby zoltanthegypsy » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:44 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'm using a flat file setup for pivotx, and whatever pivot uses by default. No MySQL.

If I have to do things manually, there's always copy and paste :(

I really do not want to move to other blog software. I've got my blogs set up just the way I want. Had fun manually editing config files. My ISP is giving me no choice :( He won't allow me to continue to run any flavor of pivot. Truly sucks. The hackers brought down his server, and he is very unhappy about it.

As to the ancient pivot - if I could fix whatever security issue got me in trouble with pivotx, I'd move that old blog over.

Doesn't look like that's an option, unfortunately.

Back to the original question - is pivotx supposed to be exporting comments? Is there any chance I'm just missing a config somewhere?

[edit] the pivot RSS is only giving me about half of my posts, even though it's configured to show all on the front page. Grrrr.

Thanks,
Z.
zoltanthegypsy

Postby Harm10 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:45 pm

There is documentation about how to move an old pivot installation to a new pivotx one: http://book.pivotx.net/page/4-1
I think the import script mentioned in there can also be used to convert flat file to MySQL. The databases give you more opportunity to dump and set up elsewhere. But I am no expert. Maybe hansfn can help you there.

And if you ask me if your provider forces you to do this you'd be better off with another one. Can he do that according to the contract?
Quality is in the detail of things............

Want to change or update your PivotX site? Mail or PM me!
I can also convert your site to a Wordpress site!
Harm10
Developer

Postby zoltanthegypsy » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:09 pm

Harm10 wrote:There is documentation about how to move an old pivot installation to a new pivotx one: http://book.pivotx.net/page/4-1
I think the import script mentioned in there can also be used to convert flat file to MySQL. The databases give you more opportunity to dump and set up elsewhere. But I am no expert. Maybe hansfn can help you there.

And if you ask me if your provider forces you to do this you'd be better off with another one. Can he do that according to the contract?

Thanks, I'll look at that migration document.

As to the ISP, I'd have a hard time insisting on running pivotx if I/we/someone can't find the security hole.

Thanks,
Z.
zoltanthegypsy

Postby hansfn » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:47 am

Just some comments:

1. If you are trying to move the content from a Pivot to a PivotX installation, Harm as already pointed to the correct location in the documentation.
  2. If you are trying to move from Pivot(X) to whatever (Wordpress), we have a script that exports to the generic MT (Moveable Type) export format. Wordpress and others can import that format. That scripts needs to be updated so it works for PivotX, but I can do that quickly.
  3. Using the RSS feed for exporting, isn't going to work perfectly. However, you can easily get all entries - use example.org/?feed=rss&c=*&n=10000 to get the first 10000 entries in all categories. The comment feed is separate - read the feed documentation.

PS! I agree with you hoster that you shouldn't be allowed to use Pivot anymore. It's no longer supported and it's a long time since the last release.
hansfn
Developer

Return to 2.x Support Forum