Unlimited subcategories or submenus possible?

A forum for Bolt related questions / issues

Unlimited subcategories or submenus possible?

Postby baZzz » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:36 am

Hello everyone!

I'm trying out Bolt and so far it looks great! (My compliments.) However, I want to have articles/pages that can be nested in other articles/pages, and so on. In other words, I want to create a dynamic tree structure like this:
    page 1
    page 2
    page 3
      subpage 1
        subsubpage 1
        subsubpage 2
        etc.
      subpage 2
      subpage 3
    page 4
    etc.

Well, you get the idea. Is this at all possible to implement at this time in a way that it's dynamic and the endusers themselves can choose how they would like the structure to be? (If so, can anybody give me pointers on how to achieve this?)

TIA!
baZzz

Re: Unlimited subcategories or submenus possible?

Postby Bob » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:43 am

Hi,

No, it's currently not possible yet to create truly hierarchical content. However this is (together with "multi-language") the most requested feature, so we'll add it sometime in the near future.

There are two reasons why it's not present, yet:

- Doing this properly is _hard_. Sure, we could hack together something, but that would not make it easy to use for endusers. In fact, it would most likely make the use of bolt harder for _everyone_, regardless of whether they need this feature or not. So, if we're going to do this, we will do it propetly, and that takes planning and care for detail.
- In my humble opinion, you hardly ever really need multiple levels of hierarchy. You should ask yourself if these 'nested pages' are really necessary? Is it not easier to create a sort-of static menu, using menu.yml, and well-though-out contenttypes?

Anyhow, for now, i'd suggest to perhaps split up your contenttypes for things that are logically different. You can also use a taxonomy with 'behaves_like' grouping, to add grouping of slightly different things in the backend of the site.
Bob
Lead Developer

Postby baZzz » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:09 pm

Thanks again for the quick reply. For now, I don't think I'll be able to use Bolt for the project I'm working on. However, I will be keeping an eye on it, because it does look & sound promising.

Regarding the requested features; please add 'sorting/ordering' (preferably via drag & drop) to the list. :-) (Especially in combination with the hierarchical structure.)
baZzz

Postby bzerangue » Sat May 17, 2014 3:59 am

Is this still not available in Bolt?

In my project, I need to be able to create subpages.
bzerangue

Postby streeff » Mon May 19, 2014 8:32 am

Possibly you can use the menu.yml for this, combined with the MenuEditor extension?
Evert Albers, Streeff - web // branding // information design - Amersfoort & Amsterdam, NL
Site: http://www.streeff.nl
streeff

Return to Bolt Discussion