Extension: pivote - article rating system

Discuss PivotX 2.0.x extensions here, and view extensions that are available for download.

Re: Extension: pivote - article rating system

Postby Wim » Mon May 25, 2009 6:58 pm

newsflash2000 wrote:Is there any word on a working PivotX 2.0 version of this extension?

I will be working on it this week.
Wim

Postby Wim » Tue May 26, 2009 7:58 pm

I am happy to announce Pivote v0.9 - it now works with PivotX 2.0 Final.

Get it from the first post in this topic stream.

New in v0.9 (besides that it now works in the final PivotX 2.0 release):

- added a pivotetop widget. You can still use the pivote_top template tag to show a list of highest rated (or most rated) articles, but the pivotetop widget allows you easy drag and drop for this functionality from the PivotX dashboard (Extensions -> Widgets).

- new field in the pivote extension configuration section - called 'Header' - allows you to specify a header for the pivotetop widget (does not apply for the pivote_top template tag). You should be able to use html to format this header.

I appreciate feedback (both positive and in case there are opportunities to improve this product) and also like to hear from you if you are using it on your PivotX blog!
Wim

Postby sc123 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:46 pm

I added the extension to my Pivot 2.0 final installation but I'm having the following issues:
1) The stars version of the conf.php file won't work. I renamed it to pivote_conf.php and deleted the other images and conf files in /pivote-gfx but somehow it still shows the bars even when loading in a new browser.
2) The widget doesn't seem to be working, as it isn't displaying anything even though I have an article with a rating.

Thanks for putting this out - hope I'm missing something simple.
sc123

Postby Wim » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:30 pm

sc123 wrote:1) The stars version of the conf.php file won't work. I renamed it to pivote_conf.php and deleted the other images and conf files in /pivote-gfx but somehow it still shows the bars even when loading in a new browser.

Did you also follow this part of the instruction: When you do this, to make this effective, delete the corresponding files from pivotx/db/pivote/pivote-gfx? (Note that this is in the db directory) After doing this, open the PivotX dashboard and reload the extensions page. It may be necessary to disable / re-enable the Pivote extension as a last resort.

sc123 wrote:2) The widget doesn't seem to be working, as it isn't displaying anything even though I have an article with a rating.

I think this one is easy: check in the PivotX dashboard in the extensions configuration section for Pivote that the Minimum votes is set to 1 (I believe the default is 5, so any article with less than 5 votes will not display in the top list).
Wim

Postby sc123 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:44 pm

Wim wrote:
sc123 wrote:1) The stars version of the conf.php file won't work. I renamed it to pivote_conf.php and deleted the other images and conf files in /pivote-gfx but somehow it still shows the bars even when loading in a new browser.

Did you also follow this part of the instruction: When you do this, to make this effective, delete the corresponding files from pivotx/db/pivote/pivote-gfx? (Note that this is in the db directory) After doing this, open the PivotX dashboard and reload the extensions page. It may be necessary to disable / re-enable the Pivote extension as a last resort.

sc123 wrote:2) The widget doesn't seem to be working, as it isn't displaying anything even though I have an article with a rating.

I think this one is easy: check in the PivotX dashboard in the extensions configuration section for Pivote that the Minimum votes is set to 1 (I believe the default is 5, so any article with less than 5 votes will not display in the top list).

I missed both of those - so thanks for taking the time to point them out. I didn't have to reload pivote after deleting the files, FYI.

I also have a small display issue, as the stars don't align in the center of the box as they do in your OP - see here. The box also appears to be wider than needed - CSS issue?
sc123

Postby Wim » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:03 pm

sc123 wrote:I also have a small display issue, as the stars don't align in the center of the box as they do in your OP - see here. The box also appears to be wider than needed - CSS issue?

Yes, you can change the settings in the pivote.css slightly to get a nicer styling:

Code: Select all
.pivote {
  width: 120px;          <-- change this
  padding: 5px;
  text-align: center;
  margin-left:10px;
  position: relative;
}

.pivote .images {
  background-color: #f1f1f1;
  padding: 3px;
  border: 1px solid #000;
  text-align: center;                 <-- add this
}

.pivote .votes {
  font-size: 10px;
  color: #ccc;
  padding: 0px;
  margin: 0px;
}

.pivote .vote {                <-- add this
padding:1px;                  <-- and this
}                                     <-- and also this

Wim

Postby sc123 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:25 pm

That worked great, thanks for saving me some time :)
sc123

Postby Wim » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:02 pm

camarados wrote:Is this rating extension also working with pages instead of entries?

I do not think so, it was written entirely with entries in mind, not pages. If I find some spare time I'll have a look at what it takes to have this work with pages as well.
Wim

Postby Schop » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:07 pm

You could insert the [[ pivote ]] tag based on an [[ if ]] statement, like described here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=702&start=10
Schop
Contributor

Postby Schop » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:09 pm

Yeah, you got the idea, but you should probably do this:

Code: Select all
           [[ if $entry.category[0]=="bootleg" ]]
                [[ pivote ]]
           [[/if]]

But a little bit of experimenting is always a good thing to do....just try it and see what happens.
Schop
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to 2.x Extensions