multiple websites

Discuss PivotX 2.0.x here. Non-PivotX related discussions go in The Drain.

multiple websites

Postby rcjordan » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:44 pm

Hello, I'm new to PivotX but have been using/reviewing CMS systems for some years now. I'm partial to flatfile systems which is what first caught my attention re Pivot. But my real need is to be able to manage multiple websites from a single installation of the CMS. I see that this is mentioned on the homepage as under development. Is it close enough to venture a guess at the release date?
rcjordan

Re: multiple websites

Postby hansfn » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:50 am

This is already fully functional. I'm currently using it to run the three domains (djupdalen.molde.no, sandvolleyball.molde.no and volleyball.molde.no) from the same PivotX install. (Sorry about the boring design.)

They are run from the directory /var/www/pivotx-domains, which all the virtual hosts point to:

Code: Select all
<VirtualHost *:80>
     DocumentRoot /var/www/pivotx-domains
     ServerName djupdalen.molde.no
</VirtualHost>

In /var/www/pivotx-domains you'll find the PivotX install (i.e. the pivotx folder) and one directory for each site:

/var/www/pivotx-domains/pivotx/sites/djupdalen.molde.no
/var/www/pivotx-domains/pivotx/sites/volleyball.molde.no
/var/www/pivotx-domains/pivotx/sites/sandvolleyball.molde.no

The directories must contain a 'db', 'images' and 'templates' folder, but PivotX will warn you about this.

Basically, if PivotX is installed in example.org/pivotx and the directory pivotx/sites/example.org exists, PivotX will jump into multi-site mode for that domain.

PS! You can always get the very latest version of PivotX from our SVN repository - use the "Download GNU tarball" at the bottom or check it out using SVN (if you are familiar with that).
hansfn
Developer

Re: multiple websites - MultiSite Mode

Postby blausand » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:02 pm

Sorry for using your ICQ yesterday - i could not login to this forum.

I have trouble setting up PivotX for multiSite mode: I have put the PIvotX (2.0) installation inside myDomain.org/pivotX at my ISP. I have also setup folders inside following your advice:
myDomain.org/pivotX/sites/myDomain.org
myDomain.org/pivotX/sites/myDomain.org/db
myDomain.org/pivotX/sites/myDomain.org/images
myDomain.org/pivotX/sites/myDomain.org/templates

and chmoded them to 777.
I hope the VirtualHost stuff is arranged by my ISP when i set up subdomains with their GUI. That usually works fine. I am not sure whether their redirect includes the ?w=mySeveralBLogs part of the Target URL. However, i don't see any weblogs right now, but the old content in myDomain.org/index.html, no matter what subdomain i enter.
Creating a new weblog does NOT create any index.html or anything in the sites/myDomain.org/ Folder
Do the other webLogs have to be named after the subdomain scheme like
/sites/sub1.myDomain.org/
/sites/sub2.myDomain.org/
/sites/sub3.myDomain.org/

or can i just use any folder name and redirect to it later?

Just decided to disclose some FTP-ls screenshot. Maybe that makes something clear. I am also confused by the fact that the pivotX folder itself contains those folders db, templates and pics - not images. Is that correct?

However, thank you in advance for supporting us here a bit!
blausand
-=- using pivotX 2.3.6 -=- having multiSite installation -=- loving extensions -=- breaking free from fixed width bLog-layouts -=- adding wild js and css to templates -=-
blausand

Postby hansfn » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:53 pm

1) When you installed PivotX, you uploaded a file myDomain.org/index.php. If there is also (an old) myDomain.org/index.html it might shadow the index.php file that came with PivotX. Please rename myDomain.org/index.html to myDomain.org/index-old.html or something.

2) You don't need to use multi-site if what you want is really just several weblogs (on the same domanin). Multi-site is most useful when yopu want completely different site, with different users and so on (or it it really multiple domain).

3) yes, if you want a separate PivotX for the subdomain sub1.myDomain.org you need to create
myDomain.org/pivotX/sites/sub1.myDomain.org
myDomain.org/pivotX/sites/sub1.myDomain.org/db
myDomain.org/pivotX/sites/sub1.myDomain.org/images
myDomain.org/pivotX/sites/sub1.myDomain.org/templates

4) All sites (and weblogs) are run through myDomain.org/index.php - no extra index.html/php files should be created.
hansfn
Developer

multiple websites - MultiSite Mode

Postby blausand » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:52 pm

Thank you, hans. It is starting to work somehow.
I have really completely separate Sites, users, content. May I post some experiences here?
I put up two webLogs with different Templates that can be visited and edited. So far, so good.

Installation
It was a bit confusing that templates had to be copied to the /pivotx/sites/subdomain-folders, i expected them to exist as standard for all subdomains since they're preinstalled to the parent folder /pivotx.
I'm also still unsure about which folders to chmod 0777 and which not. To be serious, i'm still not sure, if those created subdirectories are used for ANYTHING :cry:

Entering the webinterface...
When entering the webinterface for the first time, it report anything about my previously created subdomain folders, and instead - after user creation - started with a weblog called weblog. Surprisingly, the entries from my MySQL-database were found at one, whereas the users seem to be gone.
I can't find those users previously added to the now moved-away installation of pivotX. There's a good interface to the MySQL database that comes with my domain bundle, but i couldn't find the users to export them before and the plain pivotx/db/users folder of the old installation is empty; maybe i have to setup them again now :(
So, another question that will call for a tutorial for sure over time, is: How can i migrate my content when replacing the existing "single style" installation by a new multiweblog setup installation?

Delegating Design to different users...
Next, i tried to setup users that can work on the design of their weblog. It seems, that Advanced Users cannot edit the templates or setup new chapters, whereas users on the next level, Administrators are already allowed to see ALL webLogs and even to delete them. Maybe i missed the right tweak?
Very surprising was the fact, that i cannot segregate Chapters to their webLog. Pages can not have categories nor are they asociated with single webLogs. Instead, static pages are shown in the Pages container of ALL weblogs of my installation. I'm quite sure this can be chjanged somehow, but i'm stuck.

Redirection and Link-URL consistency
Last but not least, it is quite tricky to set the right URLs for redirection and internal link generation: I have still errors when clicking on entry links ("read more.."); they lead to URLs like myDomain.tld/sub1.myDomain.tld/?e=someCode, and even if you correct the string concatenation, the http://sub1.myDomain.tld/?e=someCode are not reachable (404).

Good News
In the meantime, my collegue has succeeded in embedding Movies and playing them via OpenFlash player in our entries, without using the media extension. Very good to know, that we can proceed in setting up a 100% design, 100% open source, 100% W3C site.

Hopefully, some things can be cleared up in this thread :)
blausand
-=- using pivotX 2.3.6 -=- having multiSite installation -=- loving extensions -=- breaking free from fixed width bLog-layouts -=- adding wild js and css to templates -=-
blausand

Postby hansfn » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:29 pm

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to answer before you move the stuff that isn't related to multi site into a new thread. It's just too confusing to discuss everything at once. OK?
hansfn
Developer

multiple websites for separated User groups

Postby blausand » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:33 am

Ok, sorry, hans.
In the meantime, i have solved the main problem on my own by simple observation of the data flow.
The important fact that should be cleared out for everybody who wants to setup PivotX in the multisite mode is:
Don't create your subdomains as redirections to something like www.domain.tld/?w=theSubDomainsWeblog !
This is completely wrong!
All your subdomains have to be setup in WEBSPACE mode and point to the very same directoy, normally domain.tld

Now i have the sub123.domain.tld/db Folders filling up.
Now i get new first user setup pages for every new site.
Now i have separated Tables on my mySQL database (at least hopefully will. At the moment, pivotX complains about tables "already existing" etc.)

Thanks to hans for the clear and important statement above about multisite setup!
Basically, if PivotX is installed in example.org/pivotx and the directory pivotx/sites/example.org exists, PivotX will jump into multi-site mode for that domain.

blausand

PS.: As a first step, this setup could be transscribed into a small tutorial, right? Also, the correct way to update PivotX running in MultiSite mode might ease things for other people.
blausand

Postby hansfn » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:45 am

I'm glad you found the error, but didn't I write this already - quote from above:
They are run from the directory /var/www/pivotx-domains, which all the virtual hosts point to.

There will be documentation in book.pivotx.net eventually.
hansfn
Developer

Return to 2.x Discussion